Korg has announced a new addition to its ever-popular tuner range, the TMR-50, which combines a chromatic tuner and metronome with a built-in recorder that can tape up to 20 minutes of audio.
All-in-one practice tools like this aren't a new idea, but this is one of the more compact versions we've seen. The TMR-50 has a fairly comprehensive metronome with 15 rhythms and a tempo range of up to 252BPM, plus a tuner that can handle an eight-octave note range.
On top of this, it can record up to 100 tracks using the built-in mic or jack input and will also feature a USB port to transfer audio files and date to a computer, which, with that 20 minute limit, we wager you'll need to do fairly frequently. There's also a loop function, for playing back recorded tracks and going over specific regions.
Korg does this kind of thing exceptionally well usually and its tuners can be found zipped into guitarists' gig bags the world over. That said, we'd like to see the firm bring this kind of tool to iOS/Android in software form.
Read the full (encyclopedic) Korg TMR-50 press release below.
PRESS RELEASE: The TMR-50 - Your Ideal Practice Partner
- Tuner, metronome, and recorder can be used simultaneously or independently
- Internal mic and speaker make it easy to record and play back your performance
- Loop Play function lets you repeat a desired region of a recorded track
- High-quality linear PCM recording/playback
- Record up to 100 tracks (approximately total 20 minutes)
- USB port lets you transfer recorded data and song files between the TMR-50 and your computer
- Newly designed highly responsive LCD needle-type meter
- Wide detection range from C1 to C8
- The Sound Out function produces a reference tone in a three-octave range from the built-in speaker
- The Sound Back function generates the reference tone that's closest to the input sound, while the meter indicates the pitch discrepancy between the reference and the input sound - a great function for ear training!
- Calibration supports a range of concert pitches
- Marks indicate pure major and minor third intervals
- Wide tempo range of 30--252 beats per minute
- 15 rhythm variations let you practice with a broad range of musical styles
- Easy tempo settings with two types of tempo step patterns plus a tap tempo function
- Large LCD with backlight brightness that's adjustable over two levels for enhanced visibility
- Your choice of body color: black or pearl white
- Convenient key layout, and newly designed stand and battery cover
- Memory Backup and Auto Power Off